Thursday, November 7, 2019

The Thing You Don't Know You're Building


Photo by Victória Kubiaki on Unsplash
"For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." -Matthew 6:21

“You become like what you worship.” -N.T. Wright, Paul and the Faithfulness of God

"There are two wolves fighting inside all of us. The first one is evil, the second one is good... Which wolf will win? The one you feed." -Unknown (attributed to Native American teaching)

"We are forms of all the things that we love. Do you know what you are?" -Jars of Clay, "Good Monsters"



When I snap at someone instead of taking a deep breath and seeking some patience...

When I choose to be rude to someone because they were rude to me...

When I grumble to myself about leaving a tip because I'd rather keep that dollar for myself...

When I decide to assume the worst in someone instead of giving them the benefit of the doubt...

When I let "I'm tired" become a justification for "I don't need to be nice to you"...

When I surf channels for thirty minutes instead of calling or texting a loved one I know is feeling lonely...

... then I am deciding what I love, what I worship, what my treasure is, and which wolf I'm feeding. I'm making that decision a hundred times a day or more. And I'm making that decision without thinking about the long term effects. 

If these proverbs and wisdom are true, then life isn't built of grand gestures; it's built of thousands of minor moments that become my character. 

Am I making myself who I want to be in those moments?

From the Gray,
Pastor Ari


“I hope the days and clouds turn into something as they pass us by.” -Jars of Clay, "These Ordinary Days"


No comments:

Post a Comment