As I read that this year, it gave me two thoughts.
First, that is a good summary for Lutheran theology. Jesus' love is the background for everything. Because salvation/eternal life/reconciliation is a gift from God, God's love and grace is the beginning of and background to everything we believe and do. Nothing begins without God's love.
That led to my second thought: what if I tried to live with that thought always in mind?
- My day begins because of Jesus' love.
- I will begin this email with Jesus' love.
- Jesus' love will be in the background of this difficult conversation.
- How is Jesus' love in the background of this meeting? Of this meal with loved ones?
- I will write this blog with Jesus' love...
This week I'm playing around with what that looks like for me. How about you? How would treating Jesus' love as the beginning and background to all you do change how you speak, think, and act (or react)?
From the Gray,
"Let's start at the very beginning, a very good place to start." -The Sound of Music, "Do Re Mi"
*(Lutheran Book of Worship: Ministers Desk Edition for anyone who cares.)